Leadership Washington Focus is a leadership program conducted by National 4‑H Council for middle school age youth. The program is a 4-day event held in mid July. It is held at the National 4‑H Youth Conference Center in Chevy Chase, Maryland just outside Washington, D.C. The program utilizes Washington, D.C. as a working classroom to learn about leadership and provides hands-on opportunities for our younger teens to promote “Learn to Lead Now – Better Leaders Tomorrow.”
The program will provide an opportunity for youth to listen to motivational speakers and participate in workshops that will develop communication skills, increase leadership capacity and build lifetime skills.
Activities during the 4-day conference will help delegates to:
- Build confidence in their ability to motivate and direct others in meaningful action.
- Practice effective communication with others through group discussion and public speaking.
- Work with others to create and accomplish goals.
- Develop an understanding of leadership styles and identify a personal style.
- Exchange ideas, practice respect and form friendships with other 4‑H’ers from across the nation.
- Visit some of D.C.’s most spectacular sights and learn about the different types of leadership conveyed through the symbolism of our national monuments and memorials.
New Jersey 4‑H sends 8-15 4‑H members and 2-3 adult advisors to Leadership Washington Focus each year. There are approximately 150 4‑H members from across the United States attending the conference. The cost for the week is approximately $800, which includes registration, lodging, transportation, all activities and most meals. There are local scholarships available to participants through their county 4‑H program. Participants may only attend this event one time during their 4‑H career. All interested 4‑H members must be in the 6-8 grade at the time of application and must go through a local selection process. For further information about attending as a New Jersey delegate contact your county 4‑H office. Applications are due on November 10 for the conference in July.
Applications are due November 10, 2019
Leadership Washington Focus 2020 will take place, 7/27-31, 2020
For more information and application materials, Leadership Washington Focus